Good Cents Bookkeeping Inc was founded by Justine Lackey in 2009. Leaders in the virtual bookkeeping industry, Good Cents is a woman-owned business that provides client-centered bookkeeping services to thriving small businesses across the United States.
We work exclusively with service-based businesses; our clients range from artists, creative professionals, coaches, to Internet marketers and consultants. Our goal is to provide an “atmosphere of excellence” for our team and our clients.
As early adopters, Good Cents' passion for technology has helped our firm to operate at top efficiency and positions us as a leader in the accounting industry.
Driven by a passion for technology, Good Cents prides itself on being early adopters of new software, apps, and platforms. This allows our firm to run at top efficiency while positioning us as leaders in the accounting industry. Our team focuses on learning, growth and respect (and also fun!).
This environment provides an outstanding customer experience for our clients – we deliver impeccable bookkeeping, communicate clearly and quickly, and deeply respect our clients as business owners.
As an organization we believe work/life balance is an attainable goal achievable through teamwork and great communication. By combining their creativity, technical know-how and problem solving skills, Team GCB delivers the most effective services to our clients. Our operations are 100% remote, with flexibility in scheduling and an environment that encourages professional growth and development. We continually invest in our team members and their skills through continued training and education.
about the position:
This consultant’s primary goal is to provide human resources support and knowledge to our bookkeeping team and clients.
As our HR consultant you will be working directly with our bookkeeping and leadership teams to help us ensure that our clients are in compliance for payroll-related compliance laws and assist with HR systems as needed.
Your role includes researching HR issues for our clients at a state and local level – including sick leave and paid time off policies, disability and workers comp requirements, obtaining insurance policies, using payroll platforms to track sick leave and PTO policies, and making sure required insurance policies are kept in force. You are also responsible for making sure our clients are in compliance regarding employment law.
You will also assist the founder, Justine Lackey, in finding, interviewing, and hiring talent for the internal Good Cents team. Once hired you will onboard new employees to Good Cents including adding them to our relevant software platforms and or assisting our team to do the same.
This is a freelance, as needed position. Frequency and duration of hours is dependent upon current client load and time of year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Finding and interviewing talent for the internal Good Cents Bookkeeping Team
- Administering Kolbe A test to Good Cents’ candidates and reviewing Kolbe RightFit results
- Onboarding new employees to Good Cents
- Researching state and local level paid sick time/paid time off policy requirements
- Researching state and local level Workers Comp and Disability policy requirements
- Setting up PTO/Sick Time policies in Gusto for our clients who use this payroll platform
- Obtaining insurance Worker’s Comp and Disability policies for clients
- Meeting with Good Cents clients to provide training and education around compliance and payroll laws
DOCUMENTING PROCESSES AND SYSTEMS
- Create and maintain SOPs for any client specific HR processes
- Documenting insurance information in our project management software
- Suggesting and creating new documents and systems when there is a need
SKILLS & ABILITIES
The ideal candidate possesses the following strengths and skills:
- 3 – 5 years of experience working in HR, specifically with small businesses
- A strong ability to manage multiple responsibilities
- A passion and aptitude for technology including problem-solving, troubleshooting, and being an “early adopter”
- A helpful disposition – it’s crucial you be 100% driven by a powerful and positive client experience
- Familiarity with Kolbe and their indexes
- You have the ability to use: Google Calendar & G Suite, Zoom. Experience with TeamWork a plus
- The ability to untangle, and solve, complex human resource or insurance problems
- The ability to speak up when processes aren’t working and present solutions to help us recalibrate workflows
- Highly organized and able to anticipate the next steps or questions that may arise
- A high level of professionalism and emotional maturity.
- You must be a self-starter with the ability to be productive from your home office.
- Uses good judgment to act in the best interest of the organization and as a representative of the organization to employees, clients and vendors
- Incredibly high follow-through. Detail is your middle name. You have high standards and mediocre is not a word in your vocabulary.
- You’re invested in becoming the best you can be and excited to work with a fun lovin’ team who’s happy to help you get there!
- Responsive and communicative. You know how to close the loop and confirm assignments are received and completed.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Please submit a resume and writing sample on your favorite pastime, hobby, artist, musician or author. Both documents must be sent in a PDF and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HR Consultant.”
ABOUT OUR HIRING PROCESS
All resumes will be reviewed and candidates will be contacted for a brief phone interview. Second interviews will be held in person and full background checks will be completed. Final candidates will be invited to work on a per diem basis for 1-2 weeks to make sure skill and personality set are a fit for our office. Signing a confidentiality and non-compete agreement are required prior to hiring.